Under the general direction of the City Administrator, the Public Works Director is responsible for the day-to-day administration of the public works/street department of the City.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
- Assumes full management responsibility for all Public Works Department services and activities including street maintenance and construction, building maintenance, central garage, snow and ice control, street light, refuse collection, parking operations, and maintenance programs.
- Directs the development and implementation of Public Works department goals, objectives, policies and priorities for each assigned service area.
- Establishes, within city policy, appropriate service and staffing levels; monitors and evaluates the efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery methods and procedures; allocates resources accordingly.
- Conducts on-site inspections of new institutional, industrial, commercial and residential construction projects to verify compliance with building, mechanical, plumbing, electrical, zoning, and engineering codes, as well as with City ordinances and property maintenance standards.
- Performs construction document and plan reviews for code compliance and issues permits.
- Assist external and internal customers, City residents, architects, engineers and others in the interpretation and application of relevant codes and ordinances.
- Conducts field investigations; inspects properties for violations; contacts property owner to resolve violations; issues and posts warning notices; schedules and performs follow-up activities to gain compliance.
- Receives and responds to citizen complaints and reports from other agencies and departments regarding alleged violations; interviews complainant and witnesses; conducts investigations and provides recommendations for resolutions.
- Locates vacant residencies and businesses; secures buildings with proper materials; posts property as appropriate; checks vacant buildings for transient activity, graffiti, and vandalism; researches bank ownership.
- Patrols assigned areas to identify and evaluate ordinance violations.
- Prepares a variety of written reports, memoranda, correspondence and instructional brochures.
- Oversees the development and administration of the Public Works Department budget; approves the forecast of funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials and supplies for long term budgeting; monitors expenditures and implements budgetary adjustments as appropriate and necessary.
- Responsible for the management of the public works staff including the hiring of personnel, development of work schedules, monitoring of final work product, and the ordering of supplies and materials.
- Provide support for the City's sewer lateral program
- Responsible for working with the City Administrator in the development of the City budget and five year capital improvement program.
- Responsible for assisting the City Administrator in researching, writing and administering grants
- Other tasks as assigned i.e., Being part of the maintenance crew on an as needed bases.
|6/4/2021 12:00 AM
|Open Until Filled
POSITION QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
Possess a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college in Public Administration, Business Administration, Recreation Administration or a related field plus two years of related public/private sector experience. Desire a Master’s Degree in Public Administration or related field and municipal government experience working in one or more of the above areas. This position requires strong analytical, communication, organizational, administrative, project management skills as well as financial management and budgeting experience. The position also requires a valid Missouri Driver’s License.